Saturday 23 March 2013

To Boost or Not to Boost? - Day Six

The sixth day of my detox and my Saturday night consists of a bit of blogging, a herbal tea and a bowl of berries. Honestly, how did my life reach these dizzy heights?

Breakfast: Blackberries, blueberries, almonds and brazil nuts, Lunch: Butternut squash soup & salad, Dinner: Quinoa with roast veg, salad, boiled egg & homemade houmus


And to crank up my hedonistic lifestyle even more, I threw a party this afternoon. Yup. An outrageously loud, indulgent, and chaotic party.

Though I have to admit, the loudness came from the over-excited Tots, the indulgence belonged to everybody but me and the chaos reigned wherever Little Tot decided to land. I think you're starting to form a mental picture.

But I bet you wouldn't guess that it was actually an 80th birthday party. A good friend of mine's Mum had turned 80 and wanted a low key birthday event. Nothing fancy, nothing swish, and she wanted to be with the Tots. And because the local soft play centre did not seem to me to be the ideal place to take an 80-year old, I had suggested, a few weeks ago, that we have a birthday tea at my house. Sorted. No problem. Until I decided to go on a blinkin' detox.

Cake made by Magic Mummies - white chocolate and raspberry, mmmmm!


So for the second time in six days I have found myself in the position of preparing indulgent food for a gathering of people without tasting a single bite for myself. I'm getting really rather good at this. And saying no to a glass of Cava didn't seem nearly as difficult as it was on my Mam's birthday, five days ago.

What really puzzled me though, was that it was quite easy to say no to the really naughty stuff like biscuits, chocolate and the oh-so-factory-processed scotch eggs. But when I got the Ryvita Thins out of their packet I thought I might swoon with desire. They were sesame seed adorned as well. That nearly tipped me over the edge.

I didn't give in to these little temptations!














What's with that? Bizarre cravings for a food I'd usually liken to cardboard. These are thoroughly strange times.

It seems that this whole detox experience is thoroughly strange. There is no text book process to it and I guess that's because digestive systems differ from person to person. One minute you're up (quite literally, leaping about with energy) and the next minute you're down (quite literally, in bed in a darkened room, nursing a headache). Everything comes in waves and it can be a little unnerving.

But I can turn to the words of Jon Kabat-Zinn to remind me how to deal with it all:

"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf."

And maybe by Day 10 the waters will have calmed to a ripple.

Go well,

Abi

Transform the life you share with your toddler at www.thecoolrulecompany.co.uk

Get fantastic info on women's health and fitness at www.femalefitness.co

See Jon Kabat-Zinn in action at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nwwKbM_vJc

No comments:

Post a Comment